Many mobile users are now able to experience Linux on their devices. This is possible as many mobile manufactures are now offering Linux as an open source (OS) on the devices they produce. The options are many, allowing users to now select which distribution they want to run on their device. Choosing one option has proven to be a challenge for users as the options are great. Open source software continues to enjoy an increase in popularity, while Linux has enjoyed popularity since it was first released. Here are a few advantages and disadvantages of using such tools to design a website with special focus on Linux web hosting.
Advantages of Using Open Source Tools to Design Websites
- The introduction of the open source development model to web designing has increased the speed at which designers can do their web application development. This type of development is not only faster, but also more effective and affordable. This is of great importance to businesses as they now exist in a highly competitive environment where the focus is on improving bottom lines. OS web development tools and methodologies have proven to be beneficial to both developers and businesses.
- As an open source version of Unix, Linux has been viewed as the standard that is used to achieve reliable and stable operating platforms for corporate environments. Linux has proven to be very cost-effective, reliable and stable. It is a popular tool in the hosting industry and is used to provide services for web servicing and email hosting as well as database and DNS services.
- The coding in Linux is flexible which allow designers to develop new codes when developing unique applications for their clients.
- Web development can be done incrementally.
- Linux’s flexibility also allows designers to conveniently modify and update the existing web application.
- The stability of the source code improves the functionality of the application.
- The security of web applications is enhanced when Linux is used to design web sites.
- There are numerous OS applications and utilities that are publicly available on a Linux plan. This affords designers a wide range of options from which they can select the type of application, programming language and database to use. Popular scripting languages include Perl, Python and PHP. The platform also supports other databases such as MySQL and PostgreSQL.
- Web sites that are designed for hosting on a Linux server are also compatible with Windows servers and can easily be moved there.
- Most scripting tools that are available on Linux are presently supported on Windows.
The disadvantages that exist for open source developments are very few and stem mostly from a development perspective more than for the end-user. Problems exist with:
- Trade secrets and their disclosure as this could lead to duplication, and financial loss. Disclosure may have to be done for the algorithms, and on how a device with a unique design functions.
- Designers may also have to contend with loss of revenue as consumers are less likely to pay huge sums for a CD or license if the source is available at a cheaper cost. The designers would have to seek to gain revenue through support agreements and OEM customization.
Linux, like most open source tools, is designed to support multiple platforms, and is very affordable as compared to Windows operating system.
This is a guest post by Erik Gaandt. You can also write for Creotix Tech.